Happy Valentine’s Day!
For Valentine ’s Day I decided to put a little twist on an easy dessert that most people love- lemon bars. Instead of regular yellow lemon bars I of course had to make them pink!!! (If you hadn’t guessed pink is by far my favorite color, so whenever I get a chance to use the lovely color, I do).
I used maraschino cherry juice to color the filling and it came a tidbit too orangey for my liking so next time I’ll probably try just plain food coloring. To cut the huge lemon bar into hearts I froze it in the pan then just took a cookie cutter to it!
Pink Lemonade Bars
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
¼ cup cornstarch
¾ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Zest from 4 lemons
Juice from 4 lemons (2/3 cup)
1/3 cup whole milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
About ¼ cup cherry juice or food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and line a 9 by 13 inch pan with tin-foil (like in the strawberry-pistachio bars), and grease with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt and pulse until combined.
- Add in the cubed butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds. If doing this by hand, whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl then incorporated the butter by smooshing it in with flour (yes, that is the technical term), this will take a while but try to do it as quick as possible so you don’t melt the butter.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly into prepped pan then compress it into the pan using your fingers or a spatula, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, bake until golden brown 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the filling; in a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, and flour.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, milk, and salt.
- Pour into still warm shell and bake at 325° F for about 20 minutes or until it feels firm when touched.
- Cool at room temperature, freeze and cut into desired shapes, then dust with powdered sugar.