On the eight day of Christmas my true love gave to me eight quarts of limoncello, seven citrus thumbprint cookies, six Mexican wedding cookies, a review in the New York Times, four magic cookie bars, three shots of eggnog, two pieces of peppermint fudge, and cute little gingerbread bundt.
Ok, I sound like an alcoholic, but I swear I’m not, the limoncellos are for gifts! I had limoncello for the first time with my sister Rebecca in Capri, Italy and it was delicious, and being a super girly-girl when it comes to alcoholic beverages (and the color pink and sparkles!!) it’s not too surprising that I liked it. This recipe makes a smooth, sweet, citrusy beverage good served over ice or mixed into cocktails.
Makes 1 quart
1 ½ cups vodka
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- In a clean jar pour the vodka.
- Zest four of the lemons and add the zest to the vodka.
- Let the jar sit for two weeks!
- When two weeks is up strain out the lemon zest.
- Make simple syrup by combing the water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat stirring until the sugar has dissolved, let cool.
- Juice the four remaining lemons, strain, and add juice to the simple syrup.
- Add the simple syrup to the jar with the lemon infused vodka.
- Let sit for 6 weeks!