On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me seven citrus thumbprint cookies, six Mexican wedding cookies, a review in the New York Times, four magic cookie bars, three shots of eggnog, two pieces of peppermint fudge, and cute little gingerbread bundt.
We come to the last of the Christmas cookies made for my mom’s holiday party (well, not really, chocolate cherry chunk cookies were also made and devoured, but I already posted about those), Strawberry and peach thumbprint cookies!!! It’s a more time consuming cookie recipe but definitely worth each buttery, fruity bite!! Before I baked mine I rolled them in silver and gold sanding sugar, the silver came out nice but the gold just looked yellow after they were baked. You can roll yours in any color of sugar; sanding sugar gives you a more sparkly finish where as other colored sugars are more matte. You can also dust the cookies with powdered sugar which also looks nice. These cookies can be made with any jelly/jam you have on hand, the citrus zest in the batter complements the strawberry jam quite nicely, plus it’s festive looking!!
Citrus Thumbprint Cookies
Adapted from Everyday Food
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
¾ cup powdered sugar, plus more for cookie coating
½ teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325° F and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour and salt together.
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar together in a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment .
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and mix on low until combined.
- Mix in the zests and the juices and beat until fluffy, this may take a few minutes.
- Roll into tablespoon size portions then roll in sanding sugar (if using powdered sugar, don’t do this yet!!!!) arrange on prepped sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
7. Bake for 5 minutes then remove from oven and make indents with either a melon baller or measuring spoon. Return to oven and bake until edges are just getting color, about 12 minutes.
8. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. If using powdered sugar roll cookies in it now then sift more over top.
9. For all cookies fill the indent with jam then return to the oven for five minutes.
10. Let cool completely to allow the jam to set.