On the first Day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a cute little gingerbread bundt!
I’m not a huge fan of ginger, so when my mom requested I make this recipe back in October I was pretty darn sure that I wouldn’t like it, but this dark, moist, spicy cake is nothing like I’ve ever had before! With a mixture of dark brown sugar, bootstrap molasses, a generous dose of ground ginger, and a bit of pepper, you get a spicy taste and scent perfect for the holiday season.
The original recipe was taken from Cook’s Illustrated cook book but I’ve given it enough twists that I’m calling it my own. The first couple of times I made this recipe I baked it in a 8×8 inch pan that was greased and lined with parchment but I also have a super cute mini bundt pan that I recently bought and had to try out……again (let’s just say that with the first bundt recipe I tried the bundts stuck and really didn’t look like bundts anymore, more like blobs actually). The recipe is doable both ways with the 8×8 inch pan make sure you grease it and line it with parchment, and only grease the bundt pan, no flour is needed!
¾ cup Oatmeal Stout (other stouts will suffice)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup bootstrap molasses
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and prep your pan.
- In a small sauce pan bring the stout to a boil.
- Off of the heat stir in the baking soda.
- Add the sugars and molasses to the pot and stir/heat until the sugars are dissolved then set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, fresh ginger, and stout mixture.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- If using the 8×8 inch dish transfer all of the batter to the dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let cool.
If you’re using the super cute little bundt pan, scoop one tablespoon of the batter into each mold and bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 2 minutes then remove.
9. Dust with powdered sugar and serve. If you’re not serving the gingerbread right away wrap it with plastic wrap!