In honor of national donut day, it was June 1st if you were wondering, I decided to make the little pup a nice treat-baked blueberry donuts!
Blueberries are one of those super foods that are packed with antioxidants and not only good for humans but also good for our four legged friends! I know that a lot of dogs have allergies to wheat so I opted to make this a wheat-free recipe by using rice flour instead of all-purpose or whole wheat flour. I used white rice flour because that’s what I had on hand but you defiantly could use brown rice flour.
The only fat in this recipe is from the one egg I used as a binder. Normally in a baked product that is that low in fat it tends to come out chewy (which I guess would be alright because after all, Tigger isn’t a food critic) but due to the lack of gluten in the rice flour the result was a nice moist mini donut that with some sugar added would definitely be palatable to us humans.
Blueberry Doggie Donuts
1 cup rice flour
2 t baking powder
½ cup pureed organic blueberries (about ½ a pint)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 425° F and spray your mini donut pan with cooking spray. If you don’t have a mini donut pan you can use a mini muffin pan but the baking time will be longer.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
3. Stir in the pureed blueberries and applesauce.
4. Mix in the egg.
5. Fill donut molds about 2/3 full making sure to clean off the little knob in the center or else you’ll be left with a donut without a hole!
6. Bake for approximately 8 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the donut comes out clean.
7. Let cool completely then let your pup enjoy!
Being the absent- minded person that I am, I forgot to spray the pan for my second batch but not to worry! I popped the whole pan into the freezer and let the donuts freeze completely then used a small metal spatula to get them out.
I’ve never given anything with blueberries in it to Tigger so I was a little hesitant when it came to the handing a donut over to the final taste tester. She loved them! Now I can add blueberries to the list of healthy things she likes!